A doctor’s paradise is found on this island
Colin Ley is an asset protection attorney and the co-founder of LayRoots (along with with partner in life & business – Shreya Ley)
Let’s talk about your asset protection strategy: book a free initial consult at livemorecarefree.com
– Hello. Hi. Welcome to the Lawyer-Human Daily ish. Colin and Shreya with LayRoots and today we’ve discovered a doctor’s paradise.
Why is it a paradise, Shreya? Well let’s–
What is this paradise? Where can we find this paradise?
It is located across the world.
At the bottom of the earth.
– And, what’s that place called?
– New Zealand.
– Yeah. But what’s the fictional place called?
– Oh. Narnia?
– No. It’s like, Lord of the Rings filmed there.
– Middle World.
– Oh. Middle Earth. Middle Earth. Yes.
– Middle Earth.
– Damn. I think my nerd card just got revoked.
– Definitely did.
Wonderful New Zealand
– So we have a pal of ours Yes.
– who is a medical doctor here,
– was here in Washington State
– And she moved
– relocated to New Zealand to practice medicine.
– And she’s back in town for a visit.
– And we got to catch up–
– She’s been having a great time in New Zealand.
– And we got to catch up with her.
– We did. Yeah. It was lovely, and she just could not stop singing the praises of New Zealand.
– And why is that Shreya?
– I mean, part of the reason is that, she’s talking about how insurance companies, screw over both the patient and the doctor, and because there is no middle man … What?
– Where? Where do they do that? In New Zealand?
– Oh, here in the United States.
– Here, in the United States. And because in New Zealand they don’t have that middle man, things are so much easier and more accessible to people, and prescriptions are $5 all the time, but also, because people are not constant, are not allowed to sue each other, for punitive damages and liability, she doesn’t have to be afraid.
Living more carefree
– Would you say she gets to live more carefree?
– She does get to live more carefree. She gets to spend more time with patients and treat them more holistically, and just do a better job.
– And initially she was going down there for a short while but she is deciding to stay.
– Yeah. She has extended her stay now.
– What concerns her about coming back and working here in the United States, Shreya?
– Well, the lawsuits for one.
– And why is that?
– Because doctors get sued person… Like so if somebody feels as though the hospital has done them wrong in some way, they also personally sue the doctor.
– And so doctors…
– So they’re always has some form of personal liability–
– Even if they’re employee of the hospital?
– Even if they’re an employee. There are all sorts of crazy things that doctors can do, and do to try and avoid …
– And do do? Is that what you were gonna say?
– I was gonna say that but I stopped myself, to try and avoid attaching a personal liability to themselves, and distance themselves from these lawsuits, because I don’t want a homeless doctor. Do you want a homeless doctor?
– And doctors don’t wanna be homeless.
– So it sounds like, if you’re a doctor in New Zealand, you have a default strategy to live more carefree because you don’t have to be afraid of lawsuits.
– Yeah and losing your personal residence or savings or whatever.
– And so on a quick side note, if you are a doctor not in New Zealand, and you don’t have a strategy, go to livemorecarefree.com and you can schedule some time to chat with us on how you can do some planning to live more like a New Zealand doctor.
– Minus the …
– The vistas.
– Minus the vistas, the sheep, the $5 prescriptions and, I don’t know.
– All kinds of other cool stuff.
– So, she’s stayin’.
– She’s staying’
– She might come back…
– She might.
– But, if she does, if and when she does come back, she may change what sort of entity she practices medicine for, and how she does that.
– Well thanks for sharing her story, Shreya.
– Yeah, no problem.
– Appreciate it. If you liked this story, you could hit like down below.
– If you like New Zealand, if you like sheep, go ahead and hit like. Share it with a friend. We would really appreciate it
– and we will see ya later.
– Peace out.